BHSEC COMMUNITY DAY 2016
WEDNESDAY, March 9th
COMMUNITY DAY IS A SCHOOL DAY. ATTENDANCE WILL BE TAKEN. EVERYONE MUST SHOW UP.
This year’s Community Day is a partnership between Students Union, Diversity Initiative, and the Bard Student Activist Network. Our theme is Conversations of Consequence. There is a link to the schedule below. In the afternoon, students will be moderating a range of discussions focused on current issues, such as political correctness, Presidential politics, Islamaphobia, and privilege at BHSEC. To make these sessions stronger, the morning activities will include building the discussion group community through games and service to the school, and former Peterson Fellow Zetta Elliott will give a brief keynote on inclusivity and indie publishing.
The potluck lunch portion of the day has been wonderfully successful in past years, and depends entirely on families/students bringing in dishes and desserts. Food assignments are determined by grade:
9th Grade: Fruits/Veggies/Salads
10th Grade: Main Courses
Y1s: Snack Foods
**Food guidelines are listed below**
WEAR YOUR CLASS COLOR SHIRT! (DRESS APPROPRIATELY)
9th – RED * 10th - GREEN * Y1 - BLUE * Y2 – WHITE * Faculty/Staff -BLACK
9th Grade Captain: DR. FREUND
10th Grade Captain: MS. GAMPER
Y1 Captain: DR. MATTHEWS
Y2 Captain: MS. WALK
*********************COMMUNITY DAY POTLUCK********************
Community Day Potluck Guidelines:
- Bringing your assigned dish or dessert is MANDATORY!
- Please bring your dish directly to the cafeteria the morning of Wednesday, May 8th
- Please prepare food for 6 people
- Food should be “picnic” food (i.e. it will not be refrigerated once served)
- If your dish requires a serving utensil, please bring a disposable one
- Please list ingredients clearly on homemade dishes (for students with allergies and/or dietary restrictions)
- International or cultural foods are encouraged!!
- Please label containers that you want returned
- Students should bring their own water/juice for lunch & afternoon field activities.
- DRINKS SHOULD BE IN PLASTIC CONTAINERS-NO GLASS!!!
We are looking forward to a fun and rewarding Community Day, which will be filled with a variety of service projects and community building at BHSEC!
Feel free to contact Ms. Walk with any questions.