Y2 Dues FAQs

1. Why are Year 2 dues so expensive?
2. My other child/niece/nephew/neighbor’s child goes to Stuyvesant/Bronx Science/Brooklyn Tech. and their senior dues are much cheaper. Why is that?
3. Why do you need my income tax form if our family is applying for financial aid?
4. What if our financial circumstances have changed since last year?
5.What costs do Year 2 Dues cover?
6. Are diploma covers/a commencement band/graduation invitations really necessary?
7. My child doesn’t want a yearbook. Are the dues the same?
8. Are you going to be asking for money again soon?

1. Why are Year 2 dues so expensive?

Year 2 dues cover most of the expenses associated with students’ final year at BHSEC. In previous years, while the cost may have been less, there was often not enough money to cover the necessary expenses. This year our goal is to have a large enough budget in order to sufficiently cover all expenses. This way, your class doesn’t leave BHSEC with a deficit!

2. My other child/niece/nephew/neighbor’s child goes to Stuyvesant/Bronx Science/Brooklyn Tech and their senior dues are much lower. Why is that?

Bear in mind that compared to many other high schools, BHSEC is relatively small, with a graduating class of just 155 students. Take a moment to appreciate some of the great benefits of being at BHSEC. Textbooks alone might cost $500 in your child’s second year of college. $300 is a relative bargain considering all of the costs it will cover.

We will be using this form (much like the College Transfer Office does) in order to determine financial need. We want to be sure to provide funds for the families that need it most.

If your circumstances have changed since last year, please turn in the income form as well and indicate any special considerations (if you have not already done so on the financial aid application).

5. What costs do Year 2 Dues cover?

Year 2 dues help cover the costs of:
– Cap, Gown, Tassel
– Diploma
– Commencement (Hall Rental, invitations, programs, flowers, orchestra)
– Y2 Formal
– Yearbook
– Y2 Gift Bag

6. Are diploma covers/a commencement orchestra/ commencement invitations really necessary?

We’ve found that these details really make a difference when it comes to the commencement ceremony. Remember this is the commencement ceremony for your child’s associate degree as well as their high school graduation. We want to be sure all of our graduating Year 2s have a memorable experience.

Yes. The yearbook is always included in the Y2 Dues. The yearbook is full of memories of our Year 2’s final year at BHSEC. The Yearbook Committee works hard every year to put out an issue that they hope will be enjoyed and treasured for years to come